Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Effectiveness of Martial Arts

It is not often that I write on this blog things that are not directly connected to Kyusho Jitsu. However this time I will. I was at a party last night with a few MMA guys present. They are new to the sport and were very exciting about it. I always enjoy seeing this kind of enthusiasm in people.

As you might expect the conversation changed to which art is better. I pretty much kept quiet as I really have no interest in this debate. I will however make a comment about it here. First the 'sport' arts don't work on the street. If you don't believe me go to South Chicago and pick a fight. Better yet, let's go to Caracas.

Sport fighters who are successful in real life fights or altercations would have been successful anyways, because that is what is in them. It is never the art, but the artist. Period.

Now the number of MMA sport competitors vs the number of traditional martial arts is not even close. The traditionalists have greater numbers and always will. Most of the sport guys turn to tradition as they grow older.

Martial Art training benefits the entire person, not only his ability to fight or defend himself as many think.

I live in a town that is low in crime and violence (compared to larger cities). If I was truly worried about being attacked I would carry a gun. Can I defend myself? Most certainly I can. But today's world is much different then many martial artists expect.