Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Some things never change.....

This has not happened to me in a long time, but it shows that some things just never change.

I was talking today with a friend of mine, Shihan Norm Rivard of Kihon Karate. We often talk about the closed minded old school of martial arts. We are both products of these old schools.

The difference is we have both come to fully realize and understand that ALL martial art styles are of value and that protectionism is not a good thing. I am a product of Korean Martial Arts Masters. My first Grandmaster instructor is a Korean, and a very well respected man, outstanding martial artist, and successful school owner. He however is very closed minded. We parted company in 1990. In his view, no other system can come close to his.

I was not taught directly by him, but instead his protege. He is another very talented martial artist. I was with him for a total of 16 years. But again, his system was really the only way in his view.

When I ventured off on my own I became what many call an orphaned school. I since then I have studied with masters of various disciplines who were interested in spreading their art and learning about others. WOW....was I ever blow away! Open minded people really do exist in the martial arts :)

Today I was told in an online group on Korean Martial Arts not to post anything about non Korean styles. I know I should have known better, but I always hope..... I left the group....I had only make one post, and there is little to no activity in the group.

On a better note tonight I am doing a Kyusho Workshop for Kihon Karate. I know we will have a blast doing it it!

I just love open minded people!