Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Down Block _ What is it...really?

Did you ever really take a look at the down or low block in traditional karate? As I was coming up through the ranks I was told it was blocking a low front kick. But as the years went by I become very uncomfortable with this definition.

So what is a low or down block in the pressure point world? How we begin to interpret techniques for Kyusho from traditional movement is to first understand the different levels and type of attacks. The starting order is as follows, the attack is either a PUSH a GRAB or a PUNCH. All tradition movement must fit all of these categories, not just one of them for it to be useful. In the video below I will give a pressure point interpretation or Bunkai for a down block based on a cross arm grab. Note that there is no wasted motion in the technique. I am attacking Triple Warmer 12.