Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Using Pressure Points in Real Life Part 2

When I attended my first pressure point seminar I was very impressed, not at the knockout being done but at the idea that I could take the upper hand in a situation targeting specific areas of the body what would give me a predictable result. I also saw the affect of striking different areas of the body on the entire function of the body. Now even though I do these "knockouts" for demonstration purposes it is not the reason for my study. Traditional Hapkido is both a striking and grappling art. The eclectic version I teach focuses more on the grappling aspect. Lets face it in any situation a shove or grab is likely to occur first, unless you missed it. This being said it represents a chance to take early advantage of a bad situation. That is why a finger lock is so effective! Now if I can understand that a strike to a specific point on the arm or neck will yield in most cases a specific result why would I not train to do this? Force can effective but the devastation that can occur when the blow misses the target can cost you your life! If you look at the some the combat systems like Bojuka you will see fast and devastating strikes, all pressure point oriented without giving up the body position of a "hay-maker". This being said take a look at this video and the result of a targeted strike to a point. Please note this is not intended to represent a real life situation!