Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Truth About Self Defense and Pressure Points

A young woman defends herself against an male attacker
There is a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to self defense.  The basis of this information is you need to be in great physical shape at all time ( not possible, sorry) and you need to fight a lot in order to assure victory.
All the above is called "street fighting." Conflict is easy to find too, especially in the USA.  Just go to any city, find the bad end of town and shoot off your mouth. Your dreams will come true. But make sure you pay your hospital insurance first!
I had a guy once say to me he has been in more fights than he can remember and pressure points didn't help.  Two comments on this, first this guy is a dumbass, "more fights than he can remember" should not be a point of pride, Plus not knowing something, but thinking you do because of your ego and this is all ego,  will always lead to failure. Pressure Points / Kyusho won't fix stupid! Live by the sword.......
I recently received an unsolicited email from a guy claiming "get my free DVD and you will defeat any attacker." Do you see why martial arts has received so much negativity about its effectiveness in the last 20 years? This claim is almost liable! (But I am sure he has fine print.)
My mandate in Kyusho is to create "structure" for learning, a method of teaching that will help everyone involved not just the "naturals." I teach content that can be applied to the students root art to help THEM make it effective for real self defense! 
Not everyone in any system is able to defend themselves! That goes back to a "self image" issue. The self image must be built, then confidence grows with skill, and then effectiveness is possible!
How is this done?
  • Teaching with SYSTEMS
  • Congruent information
  • Support
Taught properly, the student learns, sees the applications in his or her own system themselves, applies the information and becomes "personally effective." It is not about creating commando! That is the military's job.
Now I have taught this information, the way I teach it, to both police and military. The feedback is always the same. "Pressure Points Work!"
But the application of this knowledge was them, not me! Now I make no claims to be "the best in the world," or the "knockout king." I do claim to be the best "teacher" you are likely to find. I do claim if you do what I say you will learn! As far as beyond that, success is based on your view, what you do with the knowledge I will share with you.
Knowledge is not power, application of knowledge is power!
Have a great day everyone!